|2010 “Spy Hill”
This home was originally located on Round Hill Plantation, a property owned by John Washington, the grandfather of President George Washington. The name “Round Hill” was changed to “Spy Hill” by owner Thomas Baber because the property had been used as an observation post to spy out British troops sailing up and down the Potomac River during the American Revolution and War of 1812. The home was acquired by Dan Spear in 2009 before its proposed demolition. The home is now part of the Inn at Stevenson Ridge.
|2009 “The Corn Crib”
An early 1900’s corn shed, this red barn-like structure was renovated into a comfortable 1-bedroom suite at Stevenson Ridge. The structure is original to the Stevenson Ridge property.
|2008 “The Log Home”
The 1830s chink-style log cabin was restored at Stevenson Ridge in 2008. With 4 wood-burning fireplaces, exposed wood interiors, antiques furnishings and rustic surroundings, one will get a good view of 19th century life in Virginia.
|2007 “Plum Hill”
Some know the house as Plum Hill, others know it as the Christie place. The 1908 farmhouse in the Chancellors Pond subdivision was saved and restored by Spear Builders when everyone was recommending demolition. Dan saw something in the classic Colonial frame design and brick exterior and knew that it would still make a good home for a family. All wiring, plumbing, heat/air conditioning had to be replaced, as well as flooring, porch roof and much of the siding. The interior staircase and railings were preserved, including the inlaid newel post. Spear updated the home with granite countertops, master balcony and upgraded appliances. The home was sold to its’ current resident in 2009.The Project was covered in the Free Lance-Star:
‘Farmhouse ready for second century’
|2007 “The Servants Quarters”
Originally located 50 yards off the main house on White Oaks Plantation in Stanardsville, Virginia, this 2-story servants’ quarter was built in the 1850s and restored at Stevenson Ridge in 2007. During the Civil War, the main house functioned as the headquarters for General Custer. The building was salvaged before it was torn down and functions as a rental cottage alongside most of the other restorations.
|2004-2006 “The Riddick House”
This Greek-Revival style, two story timber frame house once stood at Hare Plantation in Hertford County, two miles north of Como, North Carolina. Ceilings reach 13’4” high on the first floor and 10’6” on the 2nd floor. Dan Spear worked closely with Salvagewrights, an architectural salvage company in Orange, Virginia, to reconstruct and restore this incredible structure. The home resides at Stevenson Ridge and is available for overnight stays as well as special events (i.e. weddings).The project was covered in a 3-part story in the Free Lance-Star:
|2002 “The Civil War House”
This 19th century structure was restored by Spear Builders in 2002. The National Park Service deducted that the structure was most likely the residence of the caretaker for Whig Hill and the Strickler Place, both owned by the Beverly family, a prominent resident of Spotsylvania during and after the Civil War. The modest nature of the home and its probable use mark it as significant because structures of that type most often did not survive. To restore the home back to its original form, Dan Spear relocated its 1930’s addition to his personal residence. The home is now part of the Inn at Stevenson Ridge, open for overnight stays. The structure is one of a couple Spear restorations that stands where it was constructed originally.